This exhibition was comprised of photography (133 photographs), documents, ground plans, period material, sculpture and a doctoral dissertation published and inaugrated at the opening. A large installation entitled ‘Kaisersaal’ was built by the artist in the museum’s ruined hall, known as the Kaisersaal or Emperor’s Hall.
The installation reconstructed the interior space of the Goebbels’ Bunker (located beneath the memorial). It was built and lit solely out of discarded and neglected objects (including light fittings) found in the cellar and attic rooms of the museum together with objects found on the memorial site in 1998 during excavations (thus prior to construction of the now existing memorial). The installation reproduced the ground plans of the bunker in life size ie. 1:1.
The Kaisersaal was originally a ballroom for the officers of the Prussian Army and a meeting place for the military. In WWI it was used as a military hospital. Following its bombing in 1945, the hall (with its make-shift repairs) was rarely used and still retains all of the traces of the blast. In January 1966, the exhibition mounted to accompany the Auschwitz trials held in Frankfurt, was exhibited in this very space.
This installation was the very last exhibition to take place in the ruined Kaisersaal Following extensive building the Museum fuer Fotografie was reopened in 2009 as a standard exhibition space or “white cube”.